Meal times have become quite boring again in our house, I have the same rotation of quick and easy meals which I rotate on a weekly basis. They usually take a maximum of 20 minutes to prepare and pop in the oven and they are enjoyed by all the family.
Knowing the children will eat these meals is the main reason I make them so often, as there’s nothing worse then preparing dinner and then to be faced with ‘I don’t like that’ or ‘I want pasta’ – I point blank refuse to make a second meal if they don’t eat the first, I don’t want to have to prepare numerous variations of a meal to suit everyone – who has the time for that?
Recently, the Great British Meat Co. sent me a meaty monthly saver pack to help make our mealtimes a little more fun and varied, it has really worked as I have been able to bag up the portions individually ready for cooking and then I just take out the required meat the night before.
This is one recipe I make yesterday and it went down a treat:
Chicken, Ham & Leek Lasagne
Ingredients: (to feed 4)
4 chicken breasts
1 pack of chunky cut ham (or 4 thick deli slices)
6/9 lasagne sheets (depending on the size of your dish)
Cheese (to top)
1/2 pint Chicken stock
2 tsp djon mustard
1 tbsp. olive oil
100ml double cream
For the Sauce:
1oz plain flour
1 pint of milk
- Turn the oven to 180 degrees
- Cut the chicken into bite sized cubes and add to a large pan with the oil, cook for around 6/8 minutes turning regularly so the chicken doesn’t stick or burn
- Thinly slice the leek and add to the pan, reduce the heat and cook for a few minutes adding the chicken stock – simmer for a further 5/6 minutes until the stock has reduced
- Remove from the heat and stir in the double cream, mustard and chopped parsley
To make the white sauce:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the milk, stirring continuously until you’ve a smooth consistency
- Put back onto the heat and bring to the boil – continuously stirring
- Then simmer for 8-10 minutes
Add a layer of lasagne sheets to the bottom of your Pyrex dish, spoon on 1/3 of the chicken mixture, add another layer of lasagne sheets and the a layer of white sauce, repeat until your dish is filled or the mixture used up.
Add grated cheese on top of the white sauce on the final layer and cook in the middle of the oven for around 20 minutes.
Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve either on its own or with garlic bread and vegetables.
Thanks to the Great British Meat Co. for sending us the meat for this recipe, our meal times just got a little more exciting again.