- 63% planning or considering a driving holiday this year
- Over 80% of Brits still going on holiday in 2012
- Over a third attracted to driving while on holiday, as it gives us freedom to get around
- 44% like to get off the beating track whilst on holiday
The study of over 1,000 Brits highlights that despite the economic climate, holidays are still very much on the agenda with over 80% of the British public still intending to get away in 2012. However, it appears that the nation is now seeking more freedom to explore (65%) and the opportunity to get off the beaten track (44%) – the most appealing factors to those considering a driving holiday.
Insurance4carhire, the car hire insurance specialist, also reveals that 77% of Brits had never taken out car hire excess insurance; with just under half (47%) aware of what car hire excess prodection is. The revelation means that many Brits are leaving themselves exposed to potentially high excess charges in the event of an accident.
Insurance4carhire offers a range of competitive excuss protection policies in addition to innovative solutions such as Just Text HELP, a multilingual emergency assistance tool. In the event of an accident abroad, customers can simply text the words HELP and the country e.e. HELP Spain and a mulitilingual assistant will call back and speak the language for you, anytime of the day or year.
- Dordogne region, France – a long time favourite for camping holidays, the beautiful Dordogne region is around a day’s drive from Calais, so consider breaking the journey up with an overnight stay. The region’s stunning scenery represents the best of rural France, with plenty to see and do.
- The Peak District, UK – The Peak District National Park is the oldest national park on the British Isles. It is also thought to be the second most visited national park in the world, only after the Mount Fuji National Park in Japan. It is highly accessible but offers some spectacular scenery whilst driving.
- Route 66, Chicago to Los Angeles – An amazing 2,448 mile journey through eight states and three time zones. The drive should ideally start from Lake Shore Drive passing through Illinois covering some of the USA’s most famous landmarks including, The Sears Tower, Navy Pier, Ozark region, Petrified Forest and Grand Canyon National Parks, Meteor Crater, and The Strip in Vegas.
- The Garden Route, Western Cape, South Africa – incorporating the picturesque stretch of coastline between Mossel Bay and Nature’s Valley, the Garden Route is aptly named for its greenery and the vast Tsitsikamma Forest. The coastal route includes the towns of Mossel Bay, George, Wilderness, Sedgefield, Knysna and Plettenberg Bay and Nature’s Valley – each with their own attractions.
- Tuscany, Italy – Val d’Orcia in Southern Tuscany has some of the most beautiful countryside in Europe, making a perfect driving holiday destination. There are various villages en route that make great stop off points, giving you the chance to venture off around dirt roads and explore fantastic walking routes.
- Cornwall, UK – with so much history and beautiful costal landscapes, Cornwall makes for the perfect UK driving holiday with great options for surfing, hiking and general sightseeing.
- Banff and Jasper National Parks, Canada – Drive through the mountain scenery whilst passing through Banff and Jasper National Parks, taking in the breathtaking scenery of forests and glaciers.
- The Col de Turini, Monte Carlo – an iconic twisting piece of tarmac that cuts across the Alps, and is also one of the most hallowed stages of the legendary Monte Carlo rally. There is no better work out for a road car.
- A82 towards Glencoe, Scottish Highlands – Approach the beautiful Glencoe Glenn from the south, via the A82 road and experience the rolling slopes and enthralling scenery of the Scottish Highlands.
- Flower Route, Netherlands – Experience the plethora of Holland’s blooms and its aesthetic beauty. Pass along the route from Haarlem to discover the flower aution houses, public gardens, museums and private gardens that are rich in colour and beauty.
* Research conducted amongst 1,009 adults by 4Media on behalf of Insurance4CarHire