- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 180ml milk
- Pink food colouring (optional – you could use cocoa powder if you wanted, also optional)
For the buttercream filling:
- 120ml milk
- 2 1/2 tsps. plain flour
- 110g unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Sift together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix together all the wet ingredient’s well
- Gradually combine the two, stirring well until all mixed together
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto greased baking trays, making sure to leave enough space for when they spread while cooking
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and allow to cool
For the Buttercream filling:
- Whisk together the milk and flour.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently until thick.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
- Stir into the milk mixture and beat until fluffy – I used an electric whisk to save time
- Sandwich two cakes together with the filling and enjoy
We made lots of mess, we laughed and most of all we have had fun.
We are now off to give our cakes away and to put a smile on someone’s face – why don’t you do the same and join in with #Worldbakingday?
“This post has been sponsored by Stork.”
I’m running the Race for Life – Please sponsor me