Having a daughter who spends a lot of time around her older cousins means I have been hearing “Mummy, when can I have my own phone?” a lot sooner than I thought I would do.
She is only 8 and I thought we were years away from her needing or wanting one, but I guess times change and everyone is different. She won’t be getting one anytime soon, she has no need – she has a tablet for her games and apps and no real need to call or text anyone as yet as none of her friends even have their own numbers.
When she is walking to secondary school on her own (or with friends) is when I am looking at getting her a phone, for safety and for keeping in touch with us and her friends. I didn’t have my first phone until I was 18 but it was all so different back then – and mobile phones were just that – phones for calling or texting, they have no internet on them only very basic games such as snake.
When to get your child a mobile is a he debate amongst parents, there is NO set time which is right but there are safety issues they should be made aware of before they have one, rules set and adhered to.
- Never giving out their number to strangers
- Internet safety – don’t let others know your address or which school you go to. Be wary on the information you disclose on social media, only accept friend requests from people you know, never arrange to meet someone you don’t know etc. I’ve a post on internet safety and kids which you can read here.
- Then of course there is making sure they don’t lose them as they certainly aren’t cheap
Those are just a few of the worries parents have when thinking about getting their children their first phone, others also include:
- Cyber bullying
- Sending or/and receiving inappropriate messages
- Spending too much time on them
- Running up high bills
This is why I would like to introduce you to ParentShield from Engine mobile.
ParentShield is a safe mobile network which is the perfect start to introducing our children to mobile technology.
Parent and child friendly, it has been designed with safety at the forefront and with the parents in control keeping a safe watch on their children’s usage.
With ParentShield you are able to;
- Record all calls – all calls are recorded and stored in a secure online portal for you to listen to and download
- Record all texts – all text are recorded in an online portal for you to read
- Receive word alerts – Be alerted when your child sends or receives your chosen word or phrases in their text messages
- Set time restriction – set time restriction’s for when they are able to talk to their friends
- Unlimited calls home – These are 2 numbers of your choosing which are ALWAYS free to call even when you are out of credit, meaning your child can always get in touch with you
- Ultra secure mode – Safe & Block lists which you can set giving you full control over who they are able to contact and who can contact them
This network is aimed at children aged from 5 – 13 years of age as a safe way of introducing them to technology which is new to them and for giving parents peace of mind too.
I have teamed up with Engine Mobile to bring you this latest giveaway, one lucky Emmy’s Mummy reader will win a 12 month ParentShield contract worth £180! This is a Simcard contract so you will be provided with the SIM Only and will need an unlocked mobile phone to put it into.
This giveaway is open to UK entrants only and you must be the parent of a child aged between 5-13 years of age to enter. This giveaway ends at midnight on 30th March – Good Luck
If you would like to win this fantastic giveaway worth £180 please enter HERE or by clicking on the image below.